Defensive Shotgun 1 – Intro & Basics
Here at Governors Gun Club, we love for our customers to feel comfortable and empowered while using their firearms for target practice or self-defense. This class will be taught by experienced civilian instructors, in the hopes to allow a common view of learning for all the basic knowledge and to get as comfortable as possible with a firearm.
In this class, students will learn the 4 universal rules of firearm safety, the responsibilities of a firearm owner and the fundamentals of shooting. These students will also learn the difference between shotgun action types and how they operate so that they will be educated enough to help them find which firearm is most suitable for their needs. There will also be a basic overview of ammunition and what happens when a firearm is fired. They will also be given an understanding of common malfunctions and taught the skill to help them work through the different malfunctions with their firearm.
Discussion on accessory recommendations for the shotgun will be reviewed to ensure the student has the right setup for their defensive needs. This class is a combination of classroom and range time. Don’t miss out!
Required Course Materials
- Defensive Shotgun (loaners available)
- 50 rounds of 00 buckshot (lead)**
- 10 rounds of rifled slug (lead)**
- LOW RECOIL OPTIONS RECOMMENDED FOR NEW SHOOTERS
- Hearing and eye protection
- Minimum of 5 dummy rounds (loaners available)
- Note: All targets are provided as course material
- Wear comfortable clothing, closed-toed shoes & no low-cut shirts
- Bring note-taking material.
- Photos of charts will be allowed.
**Due to limited ammunition availability, ammo counts are flexible. Firing drills will be coupled with dry practice. This will teach students how to successfully practice without ammunition, a valuable training skill.